Diamond Selling 4Cs
Diamonds…unique, beautiful, rare, and cherished. Diamonds develop different colors, clarity, weight, and structure which can all be used to determine its worth and value. The slightest difference in a diamond can make the diamond worth a lot or a little. We encourage you to know the “4” Cs.
At Axels, we provide an accurate and fair offer for your diamond. We understand the globally accepted standards established by GIA (Gemological Institute of America) for describing diamonds. If you have a GIA Report, we are happy to use this to help assess the value of your diamonds.
Diamonds are evaluated on the 4Cs; Color, Clarity, Cut, and Carat Weight.
We at Axels, are happy to explain what the 4 Cs are and how we use these attributes to come up with an offer. Before you bring your diamond in do a little homework and take a minute to understand what we are looking at.
1. Diamond Color Actually Means Lack of Color
A Diamond with no color, like a drop of water, is valued higher than a diamond with some color. All diamonds are evaluated from D (diamonds with no color) to Z (diamond with color). A diamond expert, under controlled lighting, compares the diamond to “masterstones” to determine the absence of color and gives the diamond a rating.
2. Diamond Clarity
Diamond Clarity refers to the absence of “inclusions” (substances, spots, etc. included in the structure of the diamond) and “blemishes” (external characteristics).
Diamonds are created under pressure and heat and as a result, they have both inside and external characteristics that need to be evaluated by size, nature, position, and relief. How do they affect the overall appearance of the diamond?
The purer a diamond is the better the Clarity.
Clarity is appraised after looking at the diamond under powerful magnification and then determining what inside characteristics it has (inclusions) and the following ratings are given:
• Slightly Included (SI1 and SI2) Inclusions are noticeable under 10x magnification
• Included (I1, I2, and I3) Inclusions are obvious under 10x magnification which may affect transparency and brilliance
Then a Diamond Clarity Scale is used to give the diamond an overall clarity rating.
• Flawless (FL) No inclusions and no blemishes visible under 10x magnification
• Internally Flawless (IF) No inclusions visible under 10x magnification
• Very, Very Slightly Included (VVS1 and VVS2) Inclusions so slight they are difficult for a skilled grader to see under 10x magnification
• Very Slightly Included (VS1 and VS2) Inclusions are observed with effort under 10x magnification, but can be characterized as minor
3. Understanding Diamond Cuts
Knowing how your diamond is cut is essential in knowing your diamond and its value and ability to transmit light and sparkle.
There are diamonds that are cut round, heart-shaped, oval, marquise, and pear. A skilled gem cutter will know exactly how to cut a diamond so it interacts with the light to enhance its beauty and value.
• Brightness: Internal and external white light reflected from a diamond
• Fire: The scattering of white light into all the colors of the rainbow
• Scintillation: The amount of sparkle a diamond produces, and the pattern of light and dark areas caused by reflections within the diamond
4. Carat weight
By using 200 milligrams as a “carat”, the weight of your diamond can be given within a hundredth decimal place.
Larger diamonds are rarer and thus more valuable and desirable. Remember that the value of a diamond is not only its weight but also the color, clarity, and cut. These are the 4Cs.
Axels, is the best place in town. We by diamonds and we buy gold, silver, rings, jewelry, estate jewelry, and those unwanted pieces that are laying in your jewelry box. We have skilled experts who will look at your items and give you a fair value. We will explain how we came up with the offer and answer any of your questions. If you are looking to keep your pieces then we can set you up with our pawn service where we make loans against them so they’re always safe when not being worn! You don’t want to get ripped off by some shady guy on Craigslist or eBay who doesn’t know what he’s talking about – come see us first! Our expert staff is here to help you every step of the way from evaluating what an item is worth. Plus, if there’s anything else going on in life that has put a dent in your finances like medical bills or car repairs – no problem! Come talk to us about getting a loan against your gold, diamonds, jewelry and other items as collateral until things start looking better again. And if you need cash right now but don’t want to part with any more precious possessions than necessary – don’t worry because we also do instant payday loans too! It really doesn’t matter what kind of financial situation you find yourself in we are here to help.